SrI: SrImathE SatakOpAya nama: SrImathE rAmAnujAya nama: SrImadh varavaramunayE nama:
Thus, after speaking about the personalities who are examples for upAyam (means) and upEyam (goal), piLLai lOkAchAryar mercifully explains the intent of saying to remain like them.
upAyaththukku Sakthiyum lajjaiyum yathnamum kulaiya vENum; upEyaththukku prEmamum thannaip pENAmaiyum dhariyAmaiyum vENum.
For a person who desires to qualify for the upAyam, he should give up his ability, shyness and efforts; for a person who desires to qualify for the upEyam, he should have love, disregard for self and inability to sustain [here].
That is, while qualifying for the pursuit of the upAyam, one should give up
- ability which makes one protect oneself
- shyness which occurs when the worldly people laugh at one while abandoning the hurdles for the upAyam which is pursued by the self
- self effort which is the hurdle for total dependence
While qualifying for the upEyam, one should
- have love to perform all kainkaryams as ordered by the lord, without separating from him
- not care for one’s body when there is danger for emperumAn
- give up one’s life without being able to sustain oneself in the absence of experiencing bhagavAn’s divine form
Thus, being like them implies having these qualifications.
adiyen sarathy ramanuja dasan
archived in https://srivaishnavagranthams.wordpress.com/
pramEyam (goal) – http://koyil.org
pramANam (scriptures) – http://granthams.koyil.org
pramAthA (preceptors) – https://guruparamparai.wordpress.com
SrIvaishNava Education/Kids Portal – http://pillai.koyil.org