SrI: SrImathE SatakOpAya nama: SrImathE rAmAnujAya nama: SrImadh varavaramunayE nama:
When asked “Why so?” piLLai lOkAchAryar mercifully explains.
sva dhOshaththukkum bhagavath bhAgavatha guNangaLukkumE kAlam pOrugaiyAlE.
Since, one’s time is sufficient only to speak about one’s own defects and the good qualities of bhagavAn and bhAgavathas.
sva dhOshaththukkum …
That is – since one’s time is fully spent to meditate upon the boundless self defects as said in
- thiruvAimozhi 3.3.4 “nIsanEn niRai onRum ilEn” (I am very lowly and have no good qualities)
- thiruviruththam 1 “poynninRa gyAnam pollA ozhukku azhukkudambum – inninRa nIrmai” (False knowledge, bad conduct and dirty body – I cannot tolerate this lowliness)
- sthOthra rathnam 62 “amaryAdha: kshudhra:” (one who has no respect for boundaries of SAsthram, one who is very lowly).
- varadharAja sthavam 76 “vidhvEsha mAna madha rAga vilObha mOhAdhi AjAna bhUmi:” (being the birth place for needless anger, pride, bewilderment, desire, greed, confusion etc)
- SrIrangarAja sthavam uththara Sathakam 91 ‘athikrAmannAgyAm thava vidhi nishEdhEshu bhavathEbyabhidhruhyan vAkdhIkruthibhirapi bhakthAya sathatham| ajAnan jAnan vA bhavadhasaha nIyAgasiratha:’ (Oh lord ranga! Violating your orders, knowingly and unknowingly I am always committing offenses through speech, mind and body towards you and bhAgavathas; because of that I am intolerable for you)
- SrI rangarAja sthavam uththara Sathakam 94 “SrI rangESa thvath guNAnAmivAsmath dhOshANAm ka: pAradhruSvA yathOham” (Oh lord ranga! I am beyond your qualities and our defects)
Further, to meditate upon the countless qualities of bhagavAn who accepts the self without seeing those defects and bhAgavathas who are purushakAram (recommendation authority), good companions and goal, as said in thiruvAimozhi 4.6.8 “vEdham vallArgaLaik koNdu” (Through those who are experts in vEdham), SrI bhagavath gIthA 10.9 “bOdhayantha: parasparam” (informing each other (about my qualities they enjoyed)) and in thiruvAimozhi 8.10.3 “uRumO pAviyEnukku ivvulaga mUnRum udan niRaiya siRu mA mEni nimirththa en sendhAmaraik kaN thirukkuRaLan naRu mA virai nANmalar adik kIzhp pugudhal anRi avan adiyAr siRu mA manisarAy ennai ANdAr ingE thiriyavE” (SrI vAmana made his small, attractive distinguished divine form to grow in a single effort to fill these three worlds, is having reddish lotus like eye which is perfectly enjoyable for me; for me who is having the sin, does it fit to attain such vAmana’s fragrant, best, divine feet which resemble fresh flower with honey, while such vAmana’s servitors who appear to be small due to having human form but are great personalities, who enslaved me, are visibly remaining in this world itself?); their qualities are explained as in sthOthra rathnam 18 “samastha kalyANa guNAmruthOdhadhi:” (you are like an ocean of nectar which is your auspicious qualities), SaraNAgathi gadhyam “asankyEya kalyANa guNagaNaugha mahArNava” (Oh great ocean of countless groups of auspicious qualities), “yathA rathnAni jaladhErasankyEyAni puthraka | thathA guNAhyananthasya asankyEyO mahAthmana: ||” (Oh son! Just as we cannot count the precious gems in the ocean, we cannot count the auspicious qualities of ISVara, the mahAthmA) and “nAham samarthO bhagavath priyANAm vakthum guNAn padhmabhuvOpya gamyAn” (I am not capable of speaking about bhAgavathas’ qualities which are inconceivable even for brahmA).
adiyen sarathy ramanuja dasan
archived in https://srivaishnavagranthams.wordpress.com/
pramEyam (goal) – http://koyil.org
pramANam (scriptures) – http://granthams.koyil.org
pramAthA (preceptors) – https://guruparamparai.wordpress.com
SrIvaishNava Education/Kids Portal – http://pillai.koyil.org